Keeping it chill in Taupo
Ask any New Zealander and they have most likely stayed over or at the very least, stopped for a quiet drink and bite to eat in the relaxed city of Taupo.
Located in the centre of the North Island, is a beautiful scenic spot with plenty to see and do.
Why not plan a trip to Taupo this summer and make the most of what they have to offer! With Rite Price Rentals, you’ll be able to book the perfect vehicle for your trip. We have plenty of car hire/ car rental options to suit you and your family or friends.
Here’s what we would recommend if you have a few days planned in Taupo:
1. Lava Glass Sculpture Garden is the latest attraction in Taupo. It is a spectacular new Lava Glass Sculpture Garden set in beautifully manicured grounds with more than 500 glass sculptures. Take a stroll along a 400m pathway leading you around ponds, through fields or stunning glass flowers and sit and enjoy the water flowing down the 15 piece waterfall! Once you’ve experienced this beauty, keep going and explore the native tree bird area, the giant Kaleidoscopes and glass birds and sculptures.
The glass sculptures have been created by Lynden Over along with wife Christine Robb and their team of accomplished glass workers. They were inspired by a recent trip to Seattle which is the world centre of gorgeous glass art. The pieces are the biggest pieces of glass ever blown in New Zealand and are a colourful delight. You won’t want to pass this up!
2. Tongariro Expeditions: Tongariro Expeditions is a local transport and hiking company who provide services and equipment to make sure you are prepared for the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. They can pick you up from Taupo, Turangi, Base Camp or Ketetahi.
Tongariro Expeditions can provide transport, gear and maps of the Tongariro National Park Area.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a stunning 6-8 hour (challenging) hike over Mt Tongariro. In the summer months, there is also the option of doing the summits of Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Tongariro. This is known as the best one day hike in NZ it is a must do for both travellers and local New Zealanders. You’ll have memories to last a lifetime!
3. River Rafting: Go and explore the magical waters of the Tongariro River. It provides one of nature's most natural, beautiful and fun-filled roller coaster rides. Navigate over 60 rapids with an expert guide by your side.
You’ll spend a half-day rafting the Tongariro River adventure, which is one of New Zealand’s best experiences. The rapids are suitable for beginners & experienced rafters. A large part the top section of this trip can only be accessed by raft or kayak so you’ll see plenty of spectacular unspoilt wilderness and may catch a glimpse of the protected "Whio" or native blue duck.
The guides are fully qualified rafting professionals and the gear on offer is top quality. So you’ll be in safe, expert hands!
4. Geothermal Pools: The Great Lake Taupo region is a geothermal lovers wonderland. Home to boiling mud pools, steaming vents, beautifully coloured volcanic rock and natural thermal pools.
The Great Lake Taupo region is part of both the Taupo Volcanic Zone, an area stretching from White Island down to Tongariro National Park and the Thermal Explorer Highway, a meandering route which takes in some of New Zealand’s best geothermal activity.
We are home to three impressive volcanoes, including the iconic cone-shaped, Mount Ngauruhoe. Add to this, spectacular steaming cliffs, geysers, boiling lakes, bubbling mud pools, floating pumice rocks and natural thermal pools perfect for a soak at the end of a long day exploring and you've got the lot - a geothermal wonderland!
5. Mind Junction is a fun family friendly discovery centre for all ages! Some of their fun activities include, experience being a pilot in their flight simulator, boggle your mind with their crazy mini golf, get lost in the giant maze, check out the epic lego display and get your mind going with their large selection of puzzles and games!
You can have fun with a coffee in hand while challenging yourself with the puzzles and games., rain or shine!
Taupo is a great family-friendly spot and also perfect for those wanting to really experience New Zealand and it’s natural beauty.
Explore New Zealand with Rite Price Rentals! Rent a car from Rotorua, Hamilton or Tauranga and explore everything that New Zealand has to offer. We have car or van hire options depending on the size of your family or group. Rite Price Rentals is New Zealand’s trusted car rental company.